Reading Notes: Fairie Queen-Britomart, Part A

As I said before, for this week's reading I chose the Stories from the Faerie Queene by Mary Macleod. I wanted to mention something that I found interesting in the first story in part B of this reading unit titled, What Britomart Saw in the Enchanted Chamber. I know I have mentioned things similar to what I am about to point about before, but I can never pass it up because it is sort of a fascinating quality in stories.

What I am referring to is how the characters Britomart sees are portrayed in the scene. She sees beings, i.e., men and women, however, they are also feelings that people have, which you can identify by their name and the way that they carry themselves, i.e., the clothes that they have on their backs, the facial expressions that they carry on their faces, the way they walk, etc. To give a few examples, some of these characters are Fear, Desire, Doubt, Fancy, Danger, Hope, Dissembling, Suspicion, Grief, Fury, and Spite, quite honestly the list kept dragging on. I thought that Fear was a comical character because he was dressed head to toe in armor, but was still afraid of being hurt, even afraid of the noises that his armor made. Another funny thing was how these characters interact with each other. Some are duos and others may be alone or in a group of three, and within these groups, some are naturally afraid of others. For example, Fear is afraid of Danger.

I bring this interesting aspect of this story up because I think it would be really fun to recreate this and it gives me PLENTY of ideas to bounce off of since I will probably pick one or a few of these characters and not the whole lot. However, I have been so fixated on the recurring theme of personifying emotions because I would like to learn more about them. I want to know how they became the way that they are. Were they born from a human, like the rest of us? Are they pieces of one being? Are they creations of a god, or enchanter? What is their purpose? These questions could be answered in a recreated story. So, hopefully, I can come up with something interesting enough to share with the class.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Story: Pinky and the Snake