Week 9 Story: Why A Leopard Cannot Change Its Spots

AN OUTLAW was hitting every village throughout Western Africa, terrorizing and robbing any civilian that crossed her way. The leopard was one of the most cunning creatures that roamed Africa.


The leopard, the outlaw's name was Ingwe (eeng-weh), was a beautiful large cat with a silky golden coat with black spots and paws the size of a four-inch mango! Ingwe could outrun any human or animal, she could take down anyone or anything with one swipe of her paw; However, there was one secret to the leopard's success in remaining free, she was blessed with the ability to rearrange, add, or subtract her spots (generally manipulate them however she pleased), making her impossible to recognize. 


As time went on, Ingwe began to get comfortable and found a place to live in a forest nearby a village. Whenever she became hungry or thirsty, she would go out and search for a pore sole to steal from, otherwise, she would make them her meal. Her victims would always plead with her and Ingwe's response would go like this...

"I am the one you fear at night.
Oh, boy! I have a big apatite. 
Give me your food and spare your life.
Test me and you'll pay the price!"

 To no surprise, the victims never took a chance, dropping their meal at their feet and sprinting back to the village, petrified and unable to speak. All of the villagers were panicked knowing all they could do was hide away in their homes and pray that the gods would help. Indeed, the gods heard their pleas and devised a sting operation to catch the culprit.

One evening, when the village people were fast asleep (locked in safe by the gods, as part of their plan), Ingwe set out for her meal. She searched high and low, far and wide, but there was nothing around for her to eat. So, she decided that she would break into the village and terrorize the people, for surely, they would not be so stupid to test her vicious abilities.

Upon approaching the village, Ingwe's hunger overwhelmed her, and she barged in, forgetting to rearrange her spots. All the while, the gods, who had been watching Ingwe, descended from the heavens, and their booming voices roared...

"Foolish creature! How dare you take advantage of the beautiful gift that we have bestowed upon you. Its reason was to hide you and keep you safe, yet you use it to threaten and harm others. We shall not tolerate such behavior, therefore, you no longer have the ability to control the spots on your coat and your identity will be known to all the creature amongst this world!"

With that, Ingwe's spots burned into her coat and that is why a leopard cannot change its spots.

Author's Notes: I was inspired by the story Anansi and Nothing by William H. Barker. The part in the latter that inspired me the most was the phrase, "...if you find a child crying and ask the cause, you will often be told he is 'crying for nothing'." I decided to create an original story, so I began by searching up phrases. I came across, "A leopard cannot change its spots," which for whatever reason peaked my interest and was a catalyst for my creativity. I also used some aspects of Anansi's character. Ingwe is not so much a trickster, but she is like Anansi because of her selfish disregard for others, i.e., she will get what she wants, however she can. I hope there are no holes in my story, but please let me know if there is something you don't understand. Thanks for reading! :) 

p.s. the 'song' that Ingwe says/sings is supposed to be creepy like 'fee-fye-foe-fum'.

Comments

  1. Hi Madi!
    I thought this story was full of cool detail! I love your description of Ingwe, especially describing her paw size in terms of mangos. I think it was very creative to give her a sort of chant to say when she is terrorizing people. The end part with the gods was a little confusing. Maybe add some foreshadowing about the gods being angry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Madi!

    Your story is very visual and immersive. I felt like I was there myself and understood the characters introduced. I enjoyed the chant you gave her as well. One thing I would like to point out are the typos in the piece. I use a grammar and spelling checker to make sure I can avoid those in my story! Another thing to discuss are the characters introduced at the end of the story who aren't very developed. You may want to erase them from the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Muneeb!

      Thank you for your feedback. What grammar and spell check do you use? Unfortunately, spelling and grammar is not my strong suit. Hopefully I will find some time to fix some of the issues. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Madi!

    I really liked this story! I had no idea until I read your Author's not that this was completely original. I would have completely believed that this was a folklore story that lead to the saying "a leopard cannot change its spots." So thank you for the author's note or I would have gone around telling people this is a piece of West African folklore. I am sure if you can come up with this story that all of your others are going to be great. I can't wait to read them!

    -Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cat,

      Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you fell for my originality, but also found my author's note helpful. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Story: Pinky and the Snake