Reading Notes: American Indian Fairy Tales, Part 1

This week, I am reading the American Indian Fairy Tales collected and published by Henry Schoolcraft. I am going to discuss a few aspects of the stories, mainly focusing on the one I found to be my favorite.


The first thing about this unit that struck me as interesting was how there are a few stories being told by Iagoo, the Story-Teller . In my opinion, this was a unique way to begin a story. The first story that Iagoo tells is Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind. I enjoyed this story because of the use of personification. This was always one of my favorite writing styles as a kid. In this story, Ka-bib-on-okka was the North Wind and Sha-won-dasee was the South Wind. Towards the end, Ka-bib-on-okka and Sha-won-dasee get into a wrestling match. What I love so much about personification is that it is obvious the North and South winds do not wrestle around on the ground, like two humans; however, using personification allows the reader to imagine these inanimate objects as if they are human. This is something that makes a story super fun for me to read and honestly makes me feel like I am a kid again. 

Something else that I enjoyed when reading this story was how Sha-won-dasee sang a little song, mocking and taunting Ka-bib-on-okka. This, as well as Ka-bib-on-okka's reaction to losing, reminds me of children who tease one and then the other throws a tantrum. To me, this adds some comic relief, in what seems like a terrifying situation. I can assume that the North and South winds are old, so I believe it is implied that one could expect them to be a little more mature. I have used the song or riddle in my storybook, but I would like to use this in some way for this week's story. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Story: Pinky and the Snake