Reading Notes: Twenty-Two Goblins, Part B

I finished the second half of this week's readings of Twenty-Two Goblins translated by Arthur Ryder. As I said in the first set of reading notes, this story is amazing! I will definitely be doing a re-creation of it for this week's storytelling assignment. The end had an interesting plot twist, which gave me a million ideas. I also started to think of ways I could incorporate this story into my semester-long project.

Now that I have read the rest of the story, I know the monk's intentions. It did not really surprise me that he was a deceptive character since it is such an odd favor to ask...I do not know about anyone else, but I would not go out and bring a corpse back to some stranger that brought me fruit with jewels; that would be accessory to murder after the fact. Of course, maybe with the story set in the middle ages that favor was not uncommon...?

I kind of wanted to know more about the monk's story. What could one do with the power of becoming king of the fairies? Where did the monk get all the jewels? Was the goblin behind the monk's actions, blackmailing him or threatening him like he did the king? Who knows, maybe that would be a fun addition/background to the story.

As I came to the end of the story, I started to feel like this could be a character/storyline that I can utilize in my semester-long project. The idea came full circle when Shiva gave the king the sword. In my storybook, the main character has to collect eight articles in order for him to learn where he came from. Each article that he needs, he has to first, encounter a sea-creature, and then accomplish the task that is given to him. Needing to solve a riddle seems like the perfect way for the main character to receive one of the artifacts.

(The king giving the goblin a piggyback ride. Wikimedia)
*they're the best of friends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Story: Pinky and the Snake