Reading Notes: Twenty-Two Goblins, Part A

Twenty-Two Goblins, translated by Arthur W. Ryder is a collection of stories where a goblin, a mythical creature that inhabits human corpses, tells riddles to a King, who made a promise to a monk. The king must be truthful and tell the answer if he knows it, but if he does not know the answer the goblin will tell another riddle. The issue is that when the king gets the answer right the goblin transports back to the sissoo tree and the king has to turn around, get the dead corpse with the goblin and start the journey again. So far in the story, the king knows all the answers to the goblin's riddles.

I like every bit of this story, so much so that I cannot help but continue to the second set of stories. What I like so much about these stories is how there is a goblin (an evil-trickster character, which is my favorite) and the riddles that he tells. (I also like that I can listen to the audiobooks.) One of my favorite things to do is try to figure out the ending of a TV show, movie, etc., so these stories hit the spot! I think will use this story to be the inspiration behind this week's storytelling assignment.

Although it might be challenging, I love the idea of re-creating one of these stories and coming up with a riddle. It seems similar to the Aesop fables that I read in week four. I like how this story has the same main characters, but also how the goblin tells riddles/stories that are all unique. I think it would be interesting to re-create the main characters, or at least the goblin. I could flip the goblin and king's gender where the princess' consequence will be that she will lose her beauty. The princess' promise could be to bring the corpse back to a matchmaker...? I will need to finish the story before I continue with that idea because I am not sure what the purpose of the monk's promise is, which is a very important plot line.

I chose this picture because it's a perfect illustration of how I would imagine this story.

(The goblin in the tree. Source: Wikimedia)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Story: Pinky and the Snake