Feedback Thoughts

The first article I found was under the learning from mistakes tab titled, The Importance of Mistakes, by John Cleese. I caught my attention because the title says it all, I am a believer of the importance of making mistakes. As Dr. Gibbs has pointed out, if we do not make mistakes, then we are missing out on an opportunity to learn. In Cleese's article, he tells the brief story of Gordon the Guided Missile. I have never heard this story before, but I am glad that I know it now. The article gave a great explanation of how it is important to make mistakes so that they can be fixed. Of course, there are some situations when a mistake cannot be fixed; However, we can still learn from the mistake, which is what is important.

The other article I read, Seven ways to crush self-doubt, I picked from the list that Dr. Gibbs gave in this assignments instructions. I chose this article because I like lists and I struggle with self-doubt, which I believe the majority of people do too. Professor John Spencer points out that self-doubt can be a positive and a negative behavior. It can be positive when someone cares a great deal about a project, or whatever the scenario, and that self-doubt turns into confidence. I can also be negative, however, when someone is struggling with self-doubt, and instead of making the best of it, they let it defeat them. I will admit that I have allowed my self-doubt to control the outcome or lack thereof when struggling with a situation. For example, in high school, I took an AP history class and when it came time to write a timed short essay, I would always freeze up, cry, and sit there as time passed me by. In hindsight, I see the damage that I was causing for myself and how I was perfectly capable of completing the essays. Self-doubt has been something I had to overcome in college, and I am glad that I have. I am also glad that I can take critiques for face value, it has helped with my academics, relationships, career, etc.

(Self-Confident Cat. Source: Growth Mindset &Feedback Cats)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Story: Pinky and the Snake