Reading Notes: Tricksters: Tiger, Brahman, and Jackal

First and foremost, I have to say that Tricksters are one of my favorite types of stories; I chose to take notes on The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal for that very reason. This story was interesting because there were two tricksters: the Tiger and the Jackal. Although they play the same roles, they are very different in their behaviors. The Tiger is successful in tricking the Brahman, and because of his success, he becomes confident... a little too confident. What I like about the Jackal is that he acts dumb, even fooling the Brahman, which allows him to out trick the Tiger and makes him feel like the fool. I am sure that I will be using the idea of a trickster in a few of my stories.

Another interesting aspect of this story is the setting. There was not much detail, but I could still paint a picture in my head of what the area may have looked like. The use of personification is always nice to come by. I feel like personifying an object, animal, etc., is exciting and fun. To me, it really makes a story mythical and enchanting. For those of you who may keep up with my blog, you will probably notice the use of personification in my stories.

I also enjoyed the style of writing. I love to read and write dialog. It is fun to create the characters, but I really start to understand what I want that character to be when I use dialog. The best part about it is that everyone has their own "voices" they have for each character. In this story, I imagined the Tiger with a deep booming voice; the Brahman had a normal, yet docile; and, the Jackal had a higher pitched voice, almost like an old man. However, of course, it is up to everyone's discretion...that is the fun of it all!

I think the most important thing I am cautious about when writing is imagery. I want to be able to paint a picture. Using specific settings (i.e., geological locations) or creating my own, putting an emphasis on the dialog, using words like "whoosh," "bang," and, "pop" to help create a visual and sound effect for an action, etc., are some of the techniques I try to use in my writing.


(The Four Continents by Peter Paul Rubens approximately around 1612-1615. Source: Wikipedia)

Bibliography: The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal by Joseph Jacobs.

Comments

  1. Sorry for the weird highlighting and black text... I have no idea what I going on. I will try to fix this later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries! All you have to do is open the post to edit it, highlight the contents of the post (Control-A will highlight the whole post), and click the Tx button in the editor. That will set all the formatting back to the default, and then you can do the bold, italics, whatever other formatting you wanted to use. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Story: Pinky and the Snake