Reading Notes: Hans Christian Anderson, Part B

I wanted to finish up the last section of this week's reading unit. Today, I read The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson. The Little Mermaid is such a lovely story, even though it is tragically sad. I am family with the Disney movie, but I think I prefer this story and wish that it could be a movie.

What I like most about this story is the beginning when all the details of the underwater world are being described. Anderson uses beautiful sentences and imagery to portray the setting. This was actually the reason I chose this unit; I need better descriptors in my storybook project. I appreciate how this story began because it is important for the writer to be able to create a world for the reader(s). Personally, if a story does not grab my attention right off the bat, then I know that I will just get distracted throughout and I usually find it boring.

I noticed that Anderson repeats a few things throughout the story. One example is that he kept reminding the reader, or maybe just emphasizing, how the little mermaid felt pain with each step she took. That is an important detail to remember, otherwise, the reader may forget about it.

Another thing that I liked about this story is how some of the dialog can only be heard by the princess since she can no longer speak due to losing her tongue (eww). I feel like this was possible because the story was told in the first person perspective. This point of view also helped the reader understand that the prince practically knew what she was saying just by looking into her eyes.

One thing that I would have like to have more information on is how the sisters found out about her leaving. To clarify, it is understood that they know she has a crush on the prince and she certainly asks a lot of questions about being human and does not hide her longing for a different life with the prince; however, I would have liked to read the scene when they wake up and find their sister gone. Also, with the sea-king losing his daughter, I would think that he would raise a little hell.

Image from wikimedia. Created the meme using Cheezeburger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 4 Story: Pinky and the Snake